California Rangelands, Ranching Stewardship, and 30 x 30
Learn the value of California Rangelands and how the ranchers who steward them can help address state and federal climate strategy goals, conserve 30% of land and water by 2030
Monday, January 24, 2022 , 8:30 am – 2:45 pm
(Updated January 19)
The Point Blue Photography Contest photographs will be shown periodically.
This VIRTUAL PROGRAM will include social time, breaks and will seek discussion.
8:30 am. Morning Coffee and Social Time – Bring your own coffee and visit online as colleagues gather.
9:00 am WELCOME! Bre Owens, Chair and Rancher and Michael Delbar, CEO CA Rangeland Trust and Rancher
The Return on Investment & Ecosystem Services Provided by Protected Rangelands. Dr. Lynn Hutsinger and Dr. Van Butsic, UC Berkeley.
California 30×30 Strategy – How do rangelands fit? Jennifer Norris, PhD, Deputy Secretary, CA Dept of Resources
US 30×30 Strategy – What does it mean for western rangelands? Zachary Bodhane, Policy Director, Western Landowners Alliance
Sustaining beneficial grazing on protected lands
- Lance Criley, US Forest Service and Certified Rangeland Manager and Tracie Nelson, CA Fish & Wildlife
- Lewis Reed, Mid-Peninsula Open Space District
What policies are needed to protect rangelands and keep them working lands?
- The land trust perspective, Michael Delbar, CA Rangeland Trust, Kara Heckert, American Farmland Trust, Charlotte Mitchell, California Farmland Trust
- Audubon Conservation Ranching Initiative, Pelayo Alvarez, PhD, Audubon California
- Multibenefit Land Repurposing Program, Jack Rice, Rancher Technical Assistance Program
- (Think about your organizational or business policy wish-list.)
Breakouts to discuss morning session
LUNCH BREAK. Breakouts are available for social time. Photo Slides Show
Range Manager of the Year, a presentation by Cal-Pacific Chapter Society of Range Management
- Can research predict long range climate and how that impacts rangeland production? Annie Taylor, UC Berkeley
- How does climate change affect species composition? Point Blue
- California’s Climate-Smart Ag Research and Extension. Leslie Roche, PhD, UC Davis
What will ranchers need to be sustainable to meet these challenges?
- Jaime and Robert Irwin, Kaos Sheep Outfit
- Doug Freitas, Mission Livestock
Wrap Up. Wendell Gilgert, Conversation Facilitator
2:30 pm – ADJOURN. Thank you for your participation!